It’s that time of year again Canes fans – Spring Game 2014. This year, the University is going all out with “unite.14”. I’m not exactly sure what “unite” means – does it mean the team is unite[d]? Is it The “U” at “nite”? Whatever it is, here’s what you need to know:
- Tailgating starts at 2:00 p.m. Dust off your grill, break out the tent, and raise your flag. The 2014 tailgate season is unofficially here. Did you discover a new buffalo chicken dip recipe after the bowl season that you have been dying to try? Now’s the time. CanesTailgating is planning a spread from Shorty’s BBQ with a cooler full of beverages. Tailgaters are asked to enter through Gate 7 and park in the Maroon Lot.
- Stadium Gates Open at 3:00 p.m. If you only need 1 hour of tailgating, be sure to head into the stadium for “interior” festivities starting at 3 p.m. Fans can enter through Gate D. There will be a carnival on the field and the ticket office’s famous Select-A-Seat event will be going on. Or, you can simply buy your tickets now (call 1-800-GoCanes) and do more tailgating on Saturday. You’re welcome.
- Team Autograph Session from 4:15-5:00 p.m. Didn’t get everyone’s autograph at last year’s Canesfest? Want to get your first look at the early enrollees? Want to get a picture throwing The U up with Duke? Here’s your chance. It’s unfortunate that Miami has instituted the “Johnny Manziel Rule” and players are only allowed to sign official team posters, but any time you can interact with the players, it’s still worth it.
- New Uniform Unveiling at 5:00 p.m. You heard it here first – Canes will be rocking black cleats this year. ‘Nuff said.
- Spring Game Kickoff at 6:00 p.m. Let’s see which QB steps up and becomes the early frontrunner for the starting role.
Everything above is absolutely free. The parking, the carnival, the game, everything = free. You have no excuses. Now, run out and get a side of beef and some charcoal. It’s time to breakout the grill.